I am a public defender trial attorney and trainer specializing in helping your legal services organization grow to better communicate with, advocate for, and partner with your trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming clients.
Let me help you become the inclusive organization you want to be!
I am happy to work with you to deliver trainings and other services that are tailored to the particular needs of your staff and clients. Specific services I can provide include the following:
Introductory / Intermediate Trainings
Introductory trainings start with discussions of basic terminology and etiquette. From there, your staff will participate in interactive exercises that help them build confidence and skill in interacting with trans clients. Specific topics covered can include:
- Comfortably asking for names and pronouns
- How to make clients more comfortable by signaling that you are friendly and affirming
- Interviewing clients about discrimination
- When and how to ask about a client’s transition
- How to address judges, court staff, and opposing counsel regarding trans clients
- Avoiding common mistakes around confidentiality and disclosure
Advanced Trial Skills Training
In this training, we will workshop a case (or several cases) where transgender issues are important to the case. Specific skills that we can work to develop include:
- Preparing a trans client to appear in court and testify before a jury
- Performing direct and cross examinations of trans witnesses
- Conducting voir dire for cases involving trans clients and witnesses
- Expertise in trans issues within your organization’s area of law
Organizational Assessment and Work Plan
I work with your organization’s leadership to help you provide a more welcoming environment for trans clients. This includes evaluation of and recommendations on:
- Websites and print publications
- Intake forms and procedures
- Physical facilities
- Trainings for administrative and legal staff
Public Defender Agencies
Legal Services Organizations
Law School Clinics
I am currently a public defender trial attorney and trainer in Massachusetts, where I have been practicing law for over a decade. I have been delivering organizational trainings on working with trans people since chairing the Trans Task Force as an undergraduate at Harvard University. I received my J.D. from Boston University, where I worked with other students to create an inter-school clinic that served low-income trans clients in the Boston area. I am a past vice chair of the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, the state’s leading trans advocacy organization.
Remote Training Skills
It’s a pandemic and many people are working remotely and avoiding in-person training. I have the skills to conduct your training remotely using your training platform of choice (Zoom, GoTo, etc.). Because my training uses audiovisual components and breakout groups, I will need to meet with you for a tech check on your platform of choice in advance of any multi-person training.
Email me at email@example.com.